Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Neverending Blanket Project

I've decided that one of the crochet projects I most want to do this year is finishing this partly-made white blanket:


It looks so simple! It's done in one basic pattern stitch, one color of yarn...the yarn is soft and easy to work with, and the stitching moves along quickly. What this blanket is hiding is that it's fairly big (well, at least really wide). When I started making it, I made the first few rows too wide, and at that point I wasn't going to unravel it and start over...no, I was going to keep going until it was tall enough to become a blanket of balanced proportions! I was going to finish this blanket! So I kept at it here and there for...I think a few months, at least. Periodically picking it up and working a few more rows. Until I eventually got bored halfway through and stuck it in a bin with the rest of the yarn.


Now, the difficulty is that I'm pretty sure I stuck it in that bin about...10-12 years ago? When I went off to college, it stayed home (having not been touched for years). A couple of years ago, the bin of yarn and blanket ended up in my apartment. And now, having built my confidence by making an afghan for my best friend's holiday present, I want to tackle this one and get it crossed off my unfinished projects list once and for all! (Fortunately, my yarn tension appears to have remained fairly steady.) Hoping to show you the full blanket within the next month or two...

What's the longest time you've had a project only partly finished? Did you ever go back and complete it, or did you decide it wasn't worth your time?

2 comments:

Terri said...

Do you want us to nag you about it?  I have so many ideas that I often don't even begin my projects though I have rounded up all the supplies.

Elly said...

Please do nag me about it!  If you haven't seen the finished thing on here by...say, mid-February, then I'd better be reminded to finish it.

Oh yes.  The "I have everything for this project but then I didn't have time to start it" thing.  I certainly have done that as well.  Even more problematic for my stash is the stuff saved/obtained without a particular project in mind...which then can't be gotten rid of because there are SO MANY different things I might end up doing with it at some point!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...